Okinawa was the site of the final battle of the Pacific War, which resulted in the loss of a great number of lives as well as heavy destruction to its nature and cultural heritage. To this day, vast U.S. bases still remain in Okinawa. For these reasons, the University of the Ryukyus has followed its guiding principles of "Freedom and Equality, Tolerance and Peace" since its founding. The quest for truth, and the desire to make a broader and meaningful contribution to both our immediate region and to global society continue to be our primary objectives.
Our University's Vision
The world continues to change dramatically in the 21st Century.Global warming has become a serious threat. The wasteful use of resources for development primarily benefiting advanced countries has and continues to lead to the depletion of natural resources and regional conflicts.
As such, it has become important for our modern societies to put an emphasis on our abundant wisdom and the supple, flexible mind of the south, as alternatives to the theories that benefit the advanced countries in the north, and we must pay particular attention to the vital importance of ecological and environmental issues.
The University of the Ryukyus, with the guidance from Michigan State University, has developed its own traditions: contributing to and advancing along with the local community; conducting international exchange; broadening our knowledge base through academic and educational activities, particularly on a regional level with other Asian countries with whom we share many commonalities; and making a global intellectual contribution to exchanges with Europe and America. Furthermore, we have enhanced development of human resources,regardless of gender and nationality.
Our university vision can be summed as follows:
- Contribute to society both locally and globally through education and research.
- Promote the advancement of knowledge with other Asian countries through international exchange.
- Conduct high-quality education and research as a global knowledge hub.
The mission of the University of the Ryukyus is to send promising individuals out into society with a high-quality education. We aim to cultivate individuals with the following qualities:
- Those who can make contributions at the local level as well as on a larger societal scale
- Those who can take an active role both nationally and globally
- Those who will strive to accomplish their dreams
- Those who possess drive and are open-minded
- Those who can learn from Okinawan history and the university's guiding principles and take advantage of them
Our university strives to make contributions to both local and global society based on our founding traditions and principles. In order to develop our university as a knowledge hub to the world, it is necessary to have dedication, with the nurturing of young individuals also being of vital importance.
We have played our role over the years in developing leaders who are active in areas such as science, the fine arts, politics, and economics.
Although we will continue to develop high-quality individuals in these areas, our university must also respond to emerging trends that will have both a local and global impact, such as social change as a result of globalization and population shifts. We need to look at academic development in new areas, as well as in fields of an interdisciplinary nature. With these matters in mind, we have established the following goals:
- Conduct education that focuses on continual improvement in the quality of graduates
- Improve the environment in which the potential of young researchers and new academic fields is developed
- Promote basic research and research utilizing Okinawa's regional characteristics
- Strive to be a university that makes intellectual contributions to society at large that passes on learning, and that generates new learning.
In order for the University of the Ryukyus to aim towards future expansion and the achievement of its goals, it is necessary to have highcaliber faculty and driven students, along with a sound financial base and flexible management. We have high hopes and expectations of our strongly-motivated students.